The only real fight in the Great 16bit Console War me and my mates had was between Aladdin on the Megadrive and Aladdin on the SNES. So forget your Crash Bandicoot vs Super Mario 64 as that wasn’t a contest. Forget Last of Us vs whatever toss Gears of War shite XBox360 had, and forget Sonic vs Mario. The only thing us “90s kids” actually cared about was Aladdin or Aladdin.
And with that, Aladdin on the SNES. Continue reading
The absolute titanium balls on Rare, eh? Given creative control of one of Nintendo’s most beloved mascots in Donkey Kong, Rare proceeded to take the proverbial mile, creating it’s own lore and characters for the first game. A smash hit, it allowed them even more creative freedom – to the point where they made a Donkey Kong game WITHOUT DONKEY KONG IN IT. I like to think that Rare at this point was being run by nihilistic anime edge-lords. How else do you explain Kiddy Kong? Continue reading
I am going to shout this. THIS GAME IS SO 90s YOU GET POGS WITH THE GAME.
Now, I am going to whisper these three things very quietly, 1) I never knew there was a space between Ubi and Soft 2) Super Mario Kart on the SNES is borderline unplayable trash 3) I thought this game was a Street Fighter spin-off.
I’m not too proud to admit to two of those things, but I felt I needed to be honest with you all and since I clearly know nothing about this game, here we go.
I love Light Gun Games, but what about the guns themselves? are they any good?
Well wonder no more, for I have gotten my hands on as many as I can and played as many games as possible with them,. So here is my none definitive list* of best Light Gun Guns. I will rate them on the following:
- Comfort: How comfortable is the thing to hold: Too heavy, feels cheap, awkward?
- Game Support: All the ergonomic design in the world won’t make up for having one game released for it will it?
- Value for money**: This is surprisingly multifaceted. Games are covered on their own section but one great game doesn’t make a £50 gun a good investment, and do you need to buy other add-ons to make it work?
- Does it actually work?: Simple really, but does the gun hit what I am pointing at? Some games worked off grids so if you’re in the same post code you’ll hit. Some are ultra accurate and to hit the exact same spot twice in a row you need a sniper rifle and a tripod.
- My Rating: Perhaps the most important aspect, do I like the gun. Does it annoy me, do I rush to play that console because the gun is such a pleasure to hold? Or would I rather sodomise myself with the gun than actually use it as a gun.
- Overall: The previous points are all scored out of 10. This is me trying to add up numbers to achieve an overall figure.
I will only include “main” guns that were released in the UK that I can get my hands on, they can either be first or 3rd party guns but they need to have sold more than three guns. So that weird ultra realistic Chinese import you had and loved doesn’t count, or the JAP/US only guns. I don’t do imports, but if you have one let me know and I’ll consider adding it.
* I am not including consoles that have wooden panelling or on-screen displays that make the NES look ultra Hi-Def.
** Where prices are stated the UK price is based on what I consider reasonable on eBay, the US is rounded up or down. Conversion based on exchange rates in May 2017 Continue reading
I made the bold claim that Turtles in Time was probably the best Beat ’em up you’ll ever play, and Reddit being Reddit proceeded to do what Reddit does best. Flame you for hours on end for: a) Having an opinion that differs from somebody else, and b) having not played a game that didn’t get a release in the continent you’re from.
Now I know opinions are like arseholes, in that everyone has them, but it did make me think is Knights of the Round any good, or is this just some douche on the internet smug raging?
Anyway, I bought a copy from Spain that turns out to be a dodgy PAL conversion. So with that in mind, how is Knights of the Round? Continue reading
I kinda liked Super Smash TV, it was bloody difficulty, but if you were in the zone, and everything just “clicked” it was bloody fun and a hell of a laugh.
So what would Acclaim do to follow that great game up? Well, them being a lazy game developer they pretty much reskinned Super Smash TV into a Faux-Schwarzenegger commando type military shooter in the vein of MERCS. Continue reading
I suck at Tournament Fighters, there aren’t many I can beat and there are certainly even less that I am vaguely good at but at least I can beat Killer Instinct on easy though, so I’ve got that going for me. Continue reading