I love Light Gun Games, but what about the guns themselves? are they any good?
Well wonder no more, for I have gotten my hands on as many as I can and played as many games as possible with them,. So here is my none definitive list* of best Light Gun Guns. I will rate them on the following:
- Comfort: How comfortable is the thing to hold: Too heavy, feels cheap, awkward?
- Game Support: All the ergonomic design in the world won’t make up for having one game released for it will it?
- Value for money**: This is surprisingly multifaceted. Games are covered on their own section but one great game doesn’t make a £50 gun a good investment, and do you need to buy other add-ons to make it work?
- Does it actually work?: Simple really, but does the gun hit what I am pointing at? Some games worked off grids so if you’re in the same post code you’ll hit. Some are ultra accurate and to hit the exact same spot twice in a row you need a sniper rifle and a tripod.
- My Rating: Perhaps the most important aspect, do I like the gun. Does it annoy me, do I rush to play that console because the gun is such a pleasure to hold? Or would I rather sodomise myself with the gun than actually use it as a gun.
- Overall: The previous points are all scored out of 10. This is me trying to add up numbers to achieve an overall figure.
I will only include “main” guns that were released in the UK that I can get my hands on, they can either be first or 3rd party guns but they need to have sold more than three guns. So that weird ultra realistic Chinese import you had and loved doesn’t count, or the JAP/US only guns. I don’t do imports, but if you have one let me know and I’ll consider adding it.
* I am not including consoles that have wooden panelling or on-screen displays that make the NES look ultra Hi-Def.
** Where prices are stated the UK price is based on what I consider reasonable on eBay, the US is rounded up or down. Conversion based on exchange rates in May 2017 Continue reading
One of the challenges of attempting to review Retro Games is the ability to take off your own nostalgia glasses. Just because you loved a game when you were 8, doesn’t mean that you have to still like it. And just because you thought a game was good, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a steaming pile of Sonic Adventure.
I think I first played the Addams Family game in early 1993 at a mates house, and while the memories were good, the game is not. Continue reading
I suck at Tournament Fighters, there aren’t many I can beat and there are certainly even less that I am vaguely good at but at least I can beat Killer Instinct on easy though, so I’ve got that going for me. Continue reading
I didn’t really like Final Fight on the SNES, it was too hard, lacked multiplayer,and suffered weird censorship issues. It also felt a little hollow when compared to Streets of Rage or Streets of Rage 2.
With Final Fight 2 we have a two player option and some new characters, and less pointless censorship. So does that make Final Fight 2 better than the first one, and where does it rank amongst it’s peers? Continue reading
The site has become a bit Capcom heavy, so I am going to try upping the Konami output for the month with Konami Month.
I had been working on the assumption that all Batman games were a bag of wank until the Arkham series, but after having the game suggested to me on Reddit and Twitter as a decent beat ’em up, I thought I’d don the cape, and pretend I know what is happening in Gotham. Continue reading
In a rare twist I am going to review the same game on two consoles resulting in two scores.
I never played Super Smash TV in the arcades, but I get the feeling you really needed the dual d-pad controls to get the full experience, but here I am with two home ports of varying quality. Continue reading
To celebrate our upcoming 2 year anniversary, we have put our heads together and come up with a TOP 50 games list of games we have featured since launch.
TO SEE THE CURRENT LIST PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Don’t be offended if your favourite game doesn’t feature!
- One per franchise, otherwise the Top Ten would be an ode to the Final Fantasy and Resident Evil series
- Game must be at least TWO years old. I know this doesn’t qualify for most peoples definition of retro, but it meets our “has to still hold up as a game” criteria.
- Games may not have received “full” reviews. I.E, we haven’t played/reviewed EVERYTHING, we’re only human!
- To make up for 3, Editors got to pick some wildcard games. These are games we have not played/reviewed for the site yet but collectively we feel they are worth a mention
- The stated console is the version we were playing
So, here we go! Continue reading