I love Light Gun Games, but what about the guns themselves? are they any good?
Well wonder no more, for I have gotten my hands on as many as I can and played as many games as possible with them,. So here is my none definitive list* of best Light Gun Guns. I will rate them on the following:
- Comfort: How comfortable is the thing to hold: Too heavy, feels cheap, awkward?
- Game Support: All the ergonomic design in the world won’t make up for having one game released for it will it?
- Value for money**: This is surprisingly multifaceted. Games are covered on their own section but one great game doesn’t make a £50 gun a good investment, and do you need to buy other add-ons to make it work?
- Does it actually work?: Simple really, but does the gun hit what I am pointing at? Some games worked off grids so if you’re in the same post code you’ll hit. Some are ultra accurate and to hit the exact same spot twice in a row you need a sniper rifle and a tripod.
- My Rating: Perhaps the most important aspect, do I like the gun. Does it annoy me, do I rush to play that console because the gun is such a pleasure to hold? Or would I rather sodomise myself with the gun than actually use it as a gun.
- Overall: The previous points are all scored out of 10. This is me trying to add up numbers to achieve an overall figure.
I will only include “main” guns that were released in the UK that I can get my hands on, they can either be first or 3rd party guns but they need to have sold more than three guns. So that weird ultra realistic Chinese import you had and loved doesn’t count, or the JAP/US only guns. I don’t do imports, but if you have one let me know and I’ll consider adding it.
* I am not including consoles that have wooden panelling or on-screen displays that make the NES look ultra Hi-Def.
** Where prices are stated the UK price is based on what I consider reasonable on eBay, the US is rounded up or down. Conversion based on exchange rates in May 2017 Continue reading
I am writing this in May, but will probably post it when everybody else is posting just before E3 or during because who doesn’t like a wall of noise?
I used to get hyped around E3 and all the shiney new goodness that came out of it, but the last 5-6 years have been a cavalcade of meh to the point that I didn’t bother to pay any attention to the last 2 years.
So what are my predictions? And do I have any enthusiasm for this circle-jerk anymore? Continue reading
The metaphorical derailed hype train…
Everybody has had their 2 cents worth on this one, so I thought I’d jump on this derailed hype train. Continue reading
To celebrate our upcoming 2 year anniversary, we have put our heads together and come up with a TOP 50 games list of games we have featured since launch.
TO SEE THE CURRENT LIST PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Don’t be offended if your favourite game doesn’t feature!
- One per franchise, otherwise the Top Ten would be an ode to the Final Fantasy and Resident Evil series
- Game must be at least TWO years old. I know this doesn’t qualify for most peoples definition of retro, but it meets our “has to still hold up as a game” criteria.
- Games may not have received “full” reviews. I.E, we haven’t played/reviewed EVERYTHING, we’re only human!
- To make up for 3, Editors got to pick some wildcard games. These are games we have not played/reviewed for the site yet but collectively we feel they are worth a mention
- The stated console is the version we were playing
So, here we go! Continue reading
I am at an age now where I have lived through a number of gaming fads, that thankfully were consigned to the annals of history.
I’m not talking about the quality of games, and story writing, I am also not touching specific game mechanics such as Quick Time Events (KILL IT WITH FIRE). I’m not even going to mention the great Zombie invasion of 2010.
Instead, I’m talking about whole entire genres. Genres we were/are subjected to, with endless clones, and an industry hellbent on saturating us with ever decreasing quality, in their search for a quick buck.
So which is worst? Do you remember these? Continue reading
This isn’t really an opinion piece, as I am more interested in your opinions on this. But what is the worst feature, trope, or cliche in a zombie game?
This isn’t a list of light gun games, or the best light guns, but a little bit of advice if you want to play Light Gun games. However, if you’re interested in our views on Lightgun games, we have reviewed a fair few, follow the link. Continue reading